- Please follow all pre-treatment instructions your provider has outlined in preparation for your peel. If you fail to follow certain pre-treatment protocols, specifically pertaining to prepping your skin with Retin-A, retinols and hydroquinone (if applicable) your procedure may need to be rescheduled or cancelled.
- If you have a history of cold sores or a diagnosis of HSV (herpes simplex virus), you will need a prescription for prophylaxis prior to the procedure. Call our office and we’d be happy to help you with a prescription.
- If you have an active cold sore for this appointment, your visit will need to be rescheduled!
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING YOUR TREATMENT:
Depending on the medical condition of your skin one or more coats of Controlled Depth Peel will be applied. Some people may not require sedation. If your provider indicates sedation, you will need someone to drive you home. Without sedation, you will experience a mild burning sensation that lasts 2 to 3 minutes. A bluish tint may remain on your skin and will usually wash off in 12-36 hours. Your skin will begin to peel within 2 to 3 days and should be healed in an average of 7 to 10 days. Within 10 days, you should be able to resume normal activity.
Just as important as the treatment, is the care for your skin post-treatment. Follow your providers instructions and keep all follow-up appointments. For the first 7-10 days after the Controlled Depth Peel (or until skin is completely healed) follow this program using ZO Skin Health Products:
- CLEANSING: ZO Gentle Cleanser
Cleanse the skin two times a day with plain, lukewarm water and a gentle cleanser, beginning the morning after the treatment. Use your hands and gentle patting motions. DO NOT rub, scrub, use an exfoliant or skin care brush such as a Clarisonic on the treated area.
- MOISTURIZER: Hydrating Cleanser
Moisturizer should be applied generously with clean hands over treated area and reapplied whenever your skin feels dry. DO NOT apply any other products that were not instructed by your doctor – e.g., essential oils, coconut oil, etc.
- SUNSCREEN: ZO SPF
Sunscreen is a MUST and should be used daily beginning the day after treatment and used consistently for up to 3 months post procedure. Use a physical sunscreen with Broadband UVA and UVB protection and a SPF of 30. Ensure to reapply during sun exposure.
- Your skin will be extremely photosensitive post treatment. Avoid sun exposure whenever possible however if unavoidable, wear protective clothing, a hat and proper SPF for protection.
- Your skin will be sensitive while healing. During this time, avoid the use of extreme facial expressions.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- Use soft cloth and soft towels to avoid any scrubbing.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat or protective clothing for 2 months post treatment to avoid blistering, scarring, hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentation.
- When showering, avoid getting shampoo directly on the treated area.
- Avoid strenuous exercise and sweating until after skin has healed.
- DO NOT over moisturize your skin
- DO NOT pick, rub or scratch at your skin while healing.
- DO NOT wear makeup while the skin is healing
WHAT TO DO AFTER YOUR TREATMENT:
- Sleep on your back.
- To enhance the results of the Controlled Depth Peel after the healing is complete, resume treatment with your ZO Skin Health Products.
If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us at 608.836.4044