WHAT TO EXPECT DURING YOUR TREATMENT:
- Your treatment will begin with a dermaplane.
- Next a chemical peel solution will be applied to the skin. You will be offered a hand-held fan for comfort however chemical peels are very tolerable.
- Depending on the type and depth of the chemical peel, you may experience some tingling and or itching initially.
Just as important as the treatment, is the care for your skin post-treatment.
- CLEANSING: ZO Gentle Cleanser
Cleanse the skin two times a day with plain, lukewarm water and a gentle cleanser, beginning the morning after the treatment. Use your hands and gentle patting motions. DO NOT rub, scrub, use an exfoliant or skin care brush such as a Clarisonic on the treated area.
- MOISTURIZER: ZO Hydrating Crème
Moisturizer should be applied generously with clean hands over treated area and reapplied whenever your skin feels dry. DO NOT apply any other products that were not instructed by your doctor – e.g., essential oils, coconut oil, etc.
- SUNSCREEN: Colorescience Even Up or All Calm
Sunscreen is a MUST and should be used daily beginning the day after treatment and used consistently for up to 3 months post procedure. Use a physical sunscreen with Broadband UVA and UVB protection and a SPF of 30. Ensure to reapply during sun exposure.
- Do not pick or pull on any loosening or peeling skin. This could potentially cause hyperpigmentation.
- Peeling will first begin around your nose and mouth then move outward toward the hairline and jawline.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- Avoid strenuous exercise and sweating for a minimum of 3 days.
- Avoid hot yoga, swimming and saunas for a minimum of 3 days.
- Do not put treated area directly into a shower spray.
- Stay cool! Heating internally can cause hyperpigmentation.
- Do not direct a hair dryer onto the treated area.
- Avoid makeup as much as possible until the peeling process has completed, unless the makeup is a mineral powder.
- Do not go swimming.
- Avoid all exfoliants (including Retin A, Retinol, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, Clarisonic Brush, and facial scrubs) and wash skin gently.
- Avoid direct sun exposure and excessive heat.
WHAT TO DO AFTER YOUR TREATMENT:
- The treated areas will feel tight and may appear slightly darker. The day of the peel application is “Day 1.”
- The peel solution should remain on the treated areas for at least 6 hours. During the first 6 hours, do not wash, touch, rub, or apply make-up to the treated areas.
- The Perfect Derma Moisturizer with 1% hydrocortisone, included in your Home Care Kit, may be used after 6 hours if:
- The skin feels excessively irritated
- Patient is Fitzpatrick Type 4-6 or has melasma or hyper pigmentation
- The Perfect Derma Plus booster was added to the peel treatment If you are not experiencing any irritation or discomfort, the peel solution can remain on until your evening cleansing or it may be left on overnight.
DAY 2 (AM)
- Gently wash and dry the treated areas.
- Vigorously apply the 1st Post-Peel Towelette to the treated areas. Let dry thoroughly. Towelette solution should be left on for 30 minutes before applying Mineral Perfection/Tinted SPF 30 or an SPF 30.
- Make up may be applied if desired.
DAY 2 (PM)
- 30-60 minutes before bedtime, gently wash and dry the treated areas.
- Vigorously apply the 2nd Post Peel Towelette to the treated areas. Leave the solution on overnight.
- If you are experiencing irritation or discomfort, apply a small amount of The Perfect Derma Moisturizer 2-3 times daily.
- You may also apply a cold compress against the irritated area for relief.
- If there is no significant irritation, do not use any moisturizing products on the treated areas until peeling begins (usually Day 3).
- Avoid excessive sweating, sauna or heavy exercise during peel process.
- Peeling generally begins on day 3.
- After peeling begins, apply The Perfect Derma Moisturizer, included in your Home Care Kit, to the treated areas 2-3 times a day to control the peeling and relieve the tightness.
- This moisturizer should be used for one week for Caucasian patients and two weeks for Asian, Hispanic and African American patient.
- If the Perfect Derma Moisturizer runs out, a 1% hydrocortisone cream may be substituted.
- Do not rub, pick or pull on the peeling skin, let the peeling occur naturally. Rubbing, picking or pulling may cause scarring.
- Gently wash (do not scrub) and dry the treated areas morning and night, and apply The Perfect Derma Moisturizer as needed.
- Mineral Perfection/Tinted SPF 30 or an SPF 30 should be applied every 2 hours during sun exposure.
- The peeling process is generally complete.
- Mild sloughing may still be occurring in some treated areas.
- Continue to protect the skin with Mineral Perfection/Tinted SPF 30 or an SPF 30.
*If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us at 608.836.4044