- There is a risk of potential bruising, swelling, redness and tenderness at the injection site(s) with all filler products. While not completely unavoidable, these side effects can be greatly minimized by avoiding the following for 10 days prior to your appointment:
- All blood thinners such as Aspirin, ibuprofen, Excedrin and all NSAIDS.
- Fish/flax seed oil/Omega 3’s, Vitamin E, Ginkgo, Ginseng, Garlic and turmeric
- In addition, please avoid alcohol 24 hours prior to your visit
Refraining from the above will help to limit bruising but not guarantee it. If you are concerned about bruising it is recommended to take an Arnica supplement 1-2 days prior to the procedure which is available for purchase at our front desk in both locations.
- If you have a history of cold sores or a diagnosis of HSV (herpes simplex virus), you will need a prescription for prophylaxis prior to the procedure. Please call our office and we’d be happy to help arrange for a prescription.
- If you have an active cold sore for this appointment, your appointment will need to be rescheduled. Our injectors will not be able to treat you if you arrive with an active cold sore!
- If you have major dental work scheduled within 2 weeks of this appointment, your appointment will need to be rescheduled! Examples of major dental work include tooth extraction, root canal, or gum surgery. A dental cleaning within 2 weeks of this appointment is of no concern.
- Treatment is not recommended two weeks prior to a big event (i.e., wedding, family photos, etc.)
- If you have any travel planned that involves flying, we ask that you schedule your filler appointment a minimum of 48 hours prior. If you are scheduled to fly less than 48 hours after your appointment, you will be rescheduled.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING YOUR TREATMENT:
- Your provider will add Lidocaine to the product to decrease pain at the injection sites. The numbing sensation can last up to 2 hours after treatment.
Just as important as the treatment, is the care for your skin post-treatment.
- Expect swelling and tenderness for 48 – 72 hours. Possible bruising may last for 7 days, but can last up to 2 weeks.
- Massage the treated area for 3 minutes 3 times a day for 3 days after treatment as recommended by your provider. This will prevent nodule formation.
- Tylenol may be taken to ease swelling and tenderness. Avoid Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Aleve and other NSAIDS as this will delay healing.
- A possible side effect can be the delayed appearance of tiny nodules under the skin, which can appear 6 –12 months after treatment. They are palpable, but not visible and development can be minimized by following the post treatment massage instructions.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- Your provider will provide you with a cold pack to use within the first 24-48 hours after treatment for 10 minutes at a time. Never apply ice directly to the skin. The cold will help reduce common swelling.
- Avoid exercise for 48-72 hours
- Protecting your skin from the sun is always important, but after treatment, excessive sunlight should be avoided until any initial swelling and redness goes away.
WHAT TO DO AFTER YOUR TREATMENT:
- Remember, Sculptra Aesthetic works by gradually replacing lost collagen. It provides improvements subtly and results may begin to appear 4 – 6 weeks after treatment and will gradually improve for up to 6 months. Results may last up to 2 years after initial treatment when filled to correction.
- Schedule your next appointment in 6 – 8 weeks for additional vials of Sculptra. Most patients require a minimum of two treatments will maintenance treatments every 11 months, however your provider will discuss how many are optimal for you.
- Any worsening or prolonged symptoms should be reported to your clinician.