CONGRATULATIONS….you have decided to take the light approach to beautiful and younger-looking skin!
BBL delivers light energy to gently heat the upper layers of your skin. The heat absorbed by the targeted areas will stimulate your skin cells to regenerate. In addition, the light energy penetrates deep into the skin to boost your body’s natural ability to fight the appearance of aging. The result? Skin that’s naturally beautiful and visibly younger looking, year after year!
- Use sunscreen and physical sun protection.
- Please be advised that you cannot be tanned for this appointment and would need to temporarily discontinue use of all retinol products 3-5 days prior to your scheduled appointment. We also ask that you refrain from the use of sunless tanners for a minimum of 5 days prior to your scheduled appointment.
- Inform your provider if any physician has ordered Accutane for you in the last 12 months.
- Inform your doctor if any medical conditions or medications you are taking that might sensitize you to light, affect wound healing or affect coagulation.
- Patients with Melasma or are pregnant are contraindicated
- If you have a history of cold sores or a diagnosis of HSV (herpes simplex virus), you will need a prescription for prophylaxis prior to the procedure. Call our office and we’d be happy to help you with a prescription.
- If you have an active cold sore for this appointment, your visit will need to be rescheduled!
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING YOUR TREATMENT:
- The procedure is typically gentle and safe.
- There is no need for a topical anesthetic.
- Your eyes will be protected with safety shields or glasses.
- You may briefly feel a warm or rubber band snap sensation as the light is absorbed over the treated area(s).
- CLEANSING: Cleanse the skin two times a day with plain, lukewarm water and a gentle cleanser, beginning the morning after the treatment. Use your hands and gentle patting motions. DO NOT rub, scrub, use an exfoliant or skin care brush such as a Clarisonic on the treated area.
- MOISTURIZER: Moisturizer should be applied generously with clean hands over treated area and reapplied whenever your skin feels dry. DO NOT apply any other products that were not instructed by your doctor – e.g., essential oils, coconut oil, etc.
- SUNSCREEN: Sunscreen is a MUST and should be used daily beginning the day after treatment and used consistently for up to 3 months post procedure. Use a physical sunscreen with Broadband UVA and UVB protection and a SPF of 30. Ensure to reapply during sun exposure. DO NOT expose your skin to direct sun exposure for 14 days. The treated area is more prone to sunburn and pigmentation changes.
- If the treated area is especially warm within the first 12 hours after the treatment, a cold compress or ice pack can be used to provide comfort.
- If needed, you may apply hydrocortisone cream if you experience itching and can also take an over-the-counter antihistamine to alleviate excessive swelling.
- If the skin appears red or swollen (sunburn sensation), an icepack can provide comfort to the treated area(s). In rare cases, oral pain relievers, i.e., Extra Strength Tylenol or Advil, may be used.
- While the skin is healing, avoid anything that will irritate the skin, such as exfoliants, retinols, shaving, too hot or too cold water and swimming pools and spas with multiple chemicals/chlorine.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- Use soft cloth and soft towels to avoid any scrubbing
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat or protective clothing post treatment to avoid blistering, scarring, hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentation
- Avoid strenuous exercise and sweating until after skin has healed
- In the unusual case of broken skin or blistering, contact the office immediately. Keep the affected area(s) moist and avoid direct sunlight.
WHAT TO DO AFTER YOUR TREATMENT:
- You may experience some redness in the treatment area that should resolve within a few hours. Many describe this like a sunburn sensation lasting for 1-2 hours.
- You may notice darkening of your pigmented spots, followed by a fading and flaking off at a later stage.
- Follow your provider’s aftercare plan until skin is completely healed – typically one week after the treatment. The skin on your body might take longer to heal, compared to your face.
There is virtually NO downtime after this non-invasive and gentle procedure. In most cases, you are able to apply make-up, return to work and resume most of your activities immediately.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us at 608-836-4044.