- There is a risk of potential bruising, swelling, redness and tenderness at the injection site(s). While not completely unavoidable, these side effects can be greatly minimized by avoiding the following for 10 days prior to your appointment:
- All blood thinners such as Aspirin, ibuprofen, Excedrin and all NSAIDS.
- Fish/flax seed oil/Omega 3’s, Vitamin E, Ginkgo, Ginseng, Garlic and turmeric
- In addition, please avoid alcohol 24 hours prior to your visit
Refraining from the above will help to limit bruising but not guarantee it. If you are concerned about bruising it is recommended to take an Arnica supplement 1-2 days prior to the procedure which is available for purchase at our front desk in both locations.
- If you have a history of cold sores or a diagnosis of HSV (herpes simplex virus), you will need a prescription for prophylaxis prior to the procedure. Please call our office and we’d be happy to help arrange for a prescription.
- If you have an active cold sore for this appointment, your appointment will need to be rescheduled. Our injectors will not be able to treat you if you arrive with an active cold sore!
- Treatment is not recommended two weeks prior to a big event (i.e., wedding, family photos, etc.)
You may resume your regular skincare regimen immediately post treatment; however, your chin area will likely be tender. Use a lighter touch when cleansing and applying products to the treated area for the first several days.
- Follow up Appointment: A minimum of 2 treatments, however up to 5 treatments may be required for optimal results. The second treatment and future subsequent treatments are recommended to be done every 2 months. If the desired level of correction has not occurred after the second treatment, additional Kybella treatments may be needed.
TIPS & TRICKS:
- To avoid severe bruising avoid alcohol consumption for a minimum of 6 hours and refrain from taking blood thinners such as Aspirin for several days.
- Over the counter oral pain or anti-inflammatory medications can be taken for discomfort.
- Apply ice to the treatment area, to manage discomfort and minimize swelling.
- AVOID facials, chemical peels, and laser treatments for 14 days after your Kybella treatment to the submental (chin) area.
- Facials, chemical peels, laser, and light treatments may be done immediately prior to Kybella treatment.
- HA fillers such as Juvéderm & Restylane and / or Botox may be injected before Kybella.
WHAT TO DO AFTER YOUR TREATMENT:
- The most common anticipated reactions can include swelling, bruising, pain, numbness, redness, and areas of hardness, in the treatment area. Additional side effects may include infection at injection site, and ulceration and or scarring to the injection site.
- To maximize your results and prevent adverse effects:
- Avoid exercise for at least 24 hours.
- Avoid rubbing, massaging, or scrubbing injection sites for 24 hours after treatment.
If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us at 608.836.4044