PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) is a proactive therapeutic treatment option for male and female patients experiencing hair loss and thinning.
THIS TREATMENT IS OPTIMAL FOR:
Male and Female patients experiencing hair loss and thinning hair.
THIS TREATMENT NOT RIGHT FOR:
Patients with history of heavy smoking, drug and alcohol use. Medical diagnosis such as platelet dysfunction syndromes, thrombocytopenias, hypofibrinogenemia, hemodynamic instability, sepsis, acute and chronic Infections, chronic liver disease, anti-coagulation therapy, chronic skin diseases or cancer, metabolic and systemic disorders. Patients that have a very shiny scalp and no hair is present are not candidates as well.
HOW IT WORKS:
PRP (platelet rich plasma) is your very own blood that is drawn in office and spun down to separate out the platelets and plasma. Within this serum, is your very own growth factors that assist in tissue regeneration and healing – helping to stop hair loss and promote new growth. The growth factors that are most beneficial in regards to PRP Hair Loss Treatment include:
- Platelet-Derived Growth Factor (PDGF)—promotes blood vessel growth, cell replication, skin formation.
- Transforming Growth-Factor-Beta (TGF-b)—promotes growth of matrix between cells, bone metabolis.
- Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF)—promotes blood vessel formation.
- Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF)—promotes cell growth and differentiation, blood vessel formation, collagen formation.
- Fibroblast Growth Factor-2 (FGF-2)—promotes growth of specialized cells and blood vessel formation.
- Insulin Like Growth Factor – (IGF)—a regulator of normal physiology in nearly every type of cell in the body.
The platelets and growth factors in PRP can theoretically cause growth of the hair follicles by stimulating the stem cells and other cells in the microenvironment of the hair follicle. These special cells promote healing, accelerates the rate and degree of tissue healing and regeneration, responds to injury, and formation of new cellular growth. The primary purpose of using PRP in hair restoration is to slow/stop hair loss and promote new follicles into an active growth phase.
PLEASE BEGIN 1 WEEK PRIOR TO TREATMENT:
- Increase your intake of fluid (water preferably). Aim for 10-12 glasses per day. If you exercise, you are likely to require high levels of hydration. 10-12 glasses of water are recommended, substitutions like coffee, milk, juice, soft drinks, sports drinks and alcohol do not count towards the 10-12 glasses daily.
- Where possible, try to eat nutrient rich meals. Attempt to consume plenty of fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, lean proteins (meat, chicken + fish) and complex carbohydrates (For example: whole grains are preferred to white bread and sweet potatoes over white, starchy potatoes, etc.).
- We recommend ensuring your diet has adequate levels of vitamins B, C & D. If you do not, you can consider consuming a vitamin B Complex (slow release preferred) and vitamin C tablets.
- When shampooing your hair, please massage your scalp firmly to help stimulate blood flow.
- Topical aerosol foam or liquid solution Minoxidil has also been shown to be very effective in conjunction with PRP hair loss injections in increase overall new hair growth potential. You may use a 5% formula for male patients and 2% formula for female patients. This is to be used 2x/day and may be started as early as 1 month prior to your injections.
- It is fine to color your hair up to 3 days before the procedure.
- Avoid alcohol for three days before your PRP session.
- If possible, stop smoking or limit smoking for three days prior to your procedure. The more the better as we find it really impacts on the healing process!
- Avoid Aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Voltaren and other anti-inflammatory medications for 3 days before your procedure (if possible, please avoid for 7 days). We want inflammation to occur – as this is one mechanism by which PRP works! You may take Tylenol for any pains, discomforts or joint pains you may have
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING YOUR TREATMENT:
- Our trained nurses harvest your very own PRP through a simple blood draw through a vein in your arm.
- The blood is spun down in a centrifuge, where we are then able to separate out just the platelets and plasma – the PRP aka “liquid gold.”
- The PRP is then injected into areas of the scalp showing signs of hair loss or thinning.
- A cold air chiller is used as well to help provide comfort.
- The actual treatment takes only 5-10 minutes.
- Immediately afterwards you may go right back to your daily routine.
- Continue following the recommendations mentioned in the previous section.
- Consume 500mls of fluid within 1 hour prior to your treatment.
- Do not use blood-thinning agents such as vitamin E, vitamin A, Gingko biloba, Garlic, Flax, Cod Liver Oil, or Essential Fatty Acids at least one week after your treatment.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine for the next three days.
- Avoid smoking for three days (if possible) – we find it makes a big difference to healing. (Preferably no smoking period – it’s simply not healthy!)
- Congratulations on completing your PRP Procedure! It is not necessary to make many changes in your plans today – do whatever you wish with the exception of avoiding aspirin, Advil, caffeine and alcohol. It is quite normal to experience some mild soreness and rarely swelling, not all individuals experience this, but it can occur. Please contact us with any questions or concerns.
- For general post-treatment discomfort, you may take Extra Strength Tylenol, however please AVOID aspirin products like Ibuprofen.
- Avoid Aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Voltaren and other anti-inflammatory medications for 3 days after your procedure (if possible, try for 7 days). We want inflammation to occur!
TIPS & TRICKS:
- Please wash your hair within 24 hours of your treatment.
- It is fine to color your hair three days after the procedure.
- Wearing a hat today is fine if you wish to. In fact, please limit sun on the area for 2 days.
- AVOID caffeine within 24 hours of your treatment. Remember caffeine is present in many of the things you consume including; coffee, tea, energy drinks & gym supplements.
- Avoid strenuous exercise – any sweating – 4 hours prior to your treatment.
WHAT TO DO AFTER YOUR TREATMENT:
PRP works through responding to your own body’s growth factors, so being healthy as possible is key. Immediately afterwards you may go right back to your daily routine with the exception of avoiding aspirin, Advil, caffeine and alcohol.
Most patients can expect to receive a total of 6 treatments in the first year. The first 3 treatments are spaced 1 month apart – they are to stop hair loss. The next 3 treatments are spaced 3 months apart – they are to promote new hair growth. To maintain your new growth after the first 6 treatments, 1 treatment every 3-4 months is expected.
Expectations of Treatment Results:
Results will vary from patient to patient as the success of this treatment depends solely on your body responding well to your own PRP (platelet rich plasma). No guarantees of success can be made, but PRP preliminary studies indicate patients can respond to PRP therapy. Larger clinical studies are pending, but the current medical literature contains numerous optimistic results.
PRP has been used as a medial adjunct therapy for over two decades for skin and wound healing. PRP therapy has established itself to be effective as a medical treatment modality in the specialty fields of oral surgery, neurosurgery, plastic and cosmetic surgery, sports medicine and orthopedics. It has been used extensively in these specialties for the last twenty years with generally positive outcomes and success. In the field of hair restoration, evidence supports PRP therapy as a promising treatment option to promote hair growth.
*If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us at 608.836.4044